Título/Appointment: Assistant Professor
Institución/Institution: University of Puerto Rico in Cayey
Sally J. Delgado is an assistant professor in the English Department of the University of Puerto Rico in Cayey. Her interests in historical dialectology and theories of creole genesis are explored in research on Ship English of the early colonial Caribbean. She is currently working on research in dialectology, discourse analysis and preparation in English, specifically for academic and scientific purposes among Hispanic students. She has published several articles on maritime culture and history, education, and sociolinguistics and is active at local and international conferences to disseminate her research findings. She works on the editing board of an organization that publishes two volumes of scholarship every year based on the languages, literatures and cultures of the Caribbean and the Greater Caribbean. She also uses her editing skills to help Hispanic undergraduate students publish their research and creative work in English.
- Delgado, S. J., Collazo Reyes, J. J., Gómez Dopazo, S. I., Rodríguez Díaz, E. A., & Torres Arroyo K. M. (2019). Hispanic ESL science majors need more practice using English for scientific purposes. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1177/1538192719852025
- Delgado, S. J. (2019). Ship English: Sailors’ speech in the early colonial Caribbean. Berlin: Language Science Press.
- Faraclas, N., Severing, R., Weijer, W., Echteld, E., Rutgers, W., & Delgado, S. (Eds.). (2019). Positive Interferences: Unsettling Resonances in the study of the languages, literatures and cultures of the Greater Caribbean and beyond. Willemstad, Curaçao / Puerto Rico: University of Curaçao / Universidad de Puerto Rico, Recinto de Río Piedras, UPR.
- Faraclas, N., Severing, R., Weijer, W., Echteld, E., Rutgers, W., & Delgado, S. (Eds.). (2019). Creative Contradictions: Unsettling Resonances in the study of the languages, literatures and cultures of the Dutch Caribbean and beyond. Willemstad, Curaçao / Puerto Rico: University of Curaçao / Universidad de Puerto Rico, Recinto de Río Piedras, UPR.
- Delgado, S. J. (Ed.). (2019). Cuaderno de Investigación #23: Undergraduate research papers in discourse analysis. Cayey, Puerto Rico: Universidad de Puerto Rico en Cayey, Instituto de Investigaciones Interdisciplinarias.
- Delgado, S. J. & Castro Tirado, V. (Eds.). (2019). Tales of Hurricane María: Una mirada desde el asombro y la esperanza. Puerto Rico: Publicaciones Gaviota.