Título/Appointment: Consejera III
Departamento/Department: Centro Interdisciplinario de Desarrollo Estudiantil
Teléfono/Phone: (787) 738-2161, ext. 2053, 2537
Ruth N. Mercado-Cruz, Ph. D., CRC, is a Rehabilitation Counselor and Student Disability Coordinator at the University of Puerto Rico at Cayey. She completed her doctor’s degree in the Rehabilitation Counseling Education Program at Iowa University (she was given the Lowell Brandt Rehabilitation Award. She’s licensed and certified as a Rehabilitation Counselor in Puerto Rico and has over 10 years of experience at the rehabilitation counseling field. Her primary area of research includes aging studies, substance abuse in women, and transition on college student with disabilities. At this moment she is the Treasurer of the American Rehabilitation Counseling Association and Secretary of the College of the Professionals of the Rehabilitation Counseling Association of Puerto Rico.
Perfiles en línea/Online Profiles:
Academia: Ruth Mercado-Cruz – Academia.edu
LinkedIn: (67) Ruth Mercado-Cruz | LinkedI
Ph.D. The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
Rehabilitation Counseling Education, Summer 2014
Dissertation: Self-perception of the activity and alcohol use among elderly Puerto Rican females.
Minor: Aging Studies
M.A. University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, Puerto Rico
Rehabilitation Counseling, Summer 2005
Thesis: Needs of services for women with dependency on drugs in rehabilitation programs: a profile was designed from the sample, related to the time participants were in treatment.
B.A. University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, Puerto Rico
Sociology, Fall 2000
Áreas de Investigación/Research Interests:
- Aging Studies
- Women’s Issues
- Transition to Post-Secondary Studies
- Reasonable Accommodations in College Students
- Adaptation to Disability
- Prevention Secondary Disabilities
- Stigma Issues
- Mercado-Cruz, R, Nazario, M., Martínez, K., Fonseca, H., & Rosa, C. (2019). Resilience, stigma, and adaptation to disability of college students with functional diversity, Revista GRIOT, 12(1), 31.
- Mercado-Cruz, R. (2015). Self-perception of the functionality and alcohol use among elderly Puerto Rican females. Revista GRIOT, 8(1), 104.
- Philips, B., Fleming, A., Manninen, M., Irizarry-Fonseca, L., Hylton, T., Turner, D., Santos, L., & Mercado-Cruz, R. (2012). A comparative study of issues facing rehabilitation counseling: Perspective of doctoral students and recent graduates. Rehabilitation Counselor and Educators Journal, 5(2), 51-60.
- Fleming, A., Philips, B., Manninen, M., Irizarry-Fonseca, L., Hylton, T., Turner, D., Santos, L., & Mercado-Cruz, R. (2011). Professional identity, professional associations, and recruitment: Perspectives of current doctoral students and recent graduates of rehabilitation programs. Rehabilitation Research, Policy and Education, 25 (2), 63-72.