1989 Ph. D. Biology University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus
University of Puerto Rico at Humacao, full time since 1977. Professor 1996 present.
Membership in professional societies:
- Puerto Rico Society of Microbiologists
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Co-principal investigator, NSF Atlantic Partnership for the Biological Sciences (a collaborative project with Salem State University for the improvement of science education in Latino students and their counterparts in Puerto Rico), 2009-2011.
- Co-principal investigator, NSF Puerto Rico Math and Science Partnership (Alianza para el Aprendizaje de Ciencias y Matemáticas (AlACiMa) (a collaborative project between several UPR campuses and the Department of Education for the improvement of science and mathematics learning at all school levels), 2004-2009.
- Consulting board member for the Higher Education Council of Puerto Rico, several years from 2001.
- Faculty, Office of Naval Research Grant Program for the enrichment of high school students, 1995, 1996, 1998.
- Principal investigator, Assessment of general biology as a gatekeeper course, Alliance for Minority Participation (AMP), 1993-1995.
- Consultant, continued education for high school teachers, Resource Center for Science and Engineering, 1994.
- Faculty, institute for the continued education of high school, intermediate and elementary school teachers, Resource Centers for Science and Engineering, 1988- 1995.
- Active participation in the Puerto Rico Society of Microbiologists: president (2005 and 1992), under-secretary (several years), councilor (several years- present), secretary (1988), lecturer (1990, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2013), moderator in conventions and other activities, several years.
- Invited lecturer, Colegio de Tecnólogos Médicos de Puerto Rico, several years including 2019 on the topic of vaccines.
- Active participant in assessment implementation at the Microbiology and General Biology programs, several years-present.
- Microbiology Program representative at the Institutional Assessment Committee, several years-present.
- Editor, Laboratory Manual for General Microbiology, 2009-present.
- Editor, Laboratory Handbook for General Microbiology, 2009-present.
- Editor, Laboratory Handbook for Elementary Microbiology, 2009-present. o Member, Personnel committee, several years-present.
- Biology Department representative at the institutional personnel committee, several years.
- Member, Curriculum committee, last two years
- Member Microolimpiadas organizing team in collaboration with the Puerto Rico
- Faculty, BRIDGES summer research program, UPR Humacao 2001-2003.
- Faculty, General Session on the Duties of the Institutional Animal Care and Use committee (IACUC), 2000.
- President, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), 2000.
- Research advisor to over 40 undergraduate students in cellular immunology techniques, several years.
- Advisor, Microbiology Student Chapter, several years, including 2019.
- Thesis committee member or co-director for sixteen graduate students, University of Puerto Rico, Microbiology and Medical Zoology, Pharmacy or Medical Technology Departments, UPR RCM or UPR-RCM Intercampus doctoral programs, several years.
- Thesis committee member to three students in other campuses/universities: UPR- Mayagüez, Universidad Ana G. Méndez-Gurabo, several years.
Recent Professional Development Activities
- Puerto Rico Society of Microbiologists, Semi-annual conventions 2015-2019.
- Puerto Rico Society of Microbiologists, Annual conventions 2015-2019.
- El Koury-Medina Award for Service, Puerto Rico Society of Microbiologists, 2001.
- Semi-finalist (as project director) in Glaxo Wellcome Research Awards, 1999.
- Semi-finalist (as co-author) in Glaxo Wellcome Research Awards, 1997, 1998.
- Guest lecturer on mechanisms of apoptosis, Department of Biology, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster Pensylvania, 1995.
- Study travel grant, Deutsches Akademischer Austauschdienst, Institut für Strahlenbiology, Münster, Germany, 1994.
- Guest lecturer on flow cytometry, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela, 1993.
- NIH Supplemental Minority Grant, Emory University and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Retrovirus branch), Atlanta, Georgia, 1991, 1992.
- Young investigator award, Clinical Applications of Cytometry Meeting, Charleston, 1988, 1989.
- S. Magna cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, 1974.